Every Operating System supports different file format. Android Operation system supports its own application format such as “.apk” (Android application format), whereas Tizen Operation system supports its own application format such as “.tpk”. You cannot install .apk file in Tizen-based devices.
What is File Extension
A file extension is the ending of a file that helps identify the type of file in operating systems and file extension is the group of characters, usually 3 or 4 in length, In Microsoft Windows, the file extension is a period that is often followed by three characters, For example, the file name “PhDresults.DOC” has an extension of “.DOC”, which is a file name extension associated with Microsoft Word.
What is the file extension of iOS/iPhone apps?
.ipa file extension is used for Apple iOS application file and Each “.ipa” file includes a binary for the ARM architecture and can only be installed on an iPhone or iOS-device. Full form of .ipa file is iOS application archive file and It is usually encrypted with Apple’s FairPlay DRM technology. I already know that this is a zip file, so you can be uncompressed all .ipa extension file by changing the extension to .zip and unzipping.
What is the file extension of Android apps?
Android is the world’s most popular and open source mobile OS. Android users download more than 1.5 billion apps from Google Play each month. We already know that the file extension name of google’s Android OS is .apk (Android application package). So APK is the package file format used by the Android OS for distribution and installation of smartphone apps. APK files are a type of archive file, specifically in ZIP format based on the JAR file format.
What is the file extension of Windows mobile OS apps
Microsoft windows mobile OS based on XAP files and Appx files extension. AppX file approach is particularly effective for distributing application suited for multiple devices, including personal computers, mobile and tablets. Where XAP is the file format used to distribute & install application and middleware onto Microsoft’s Windows smartphone 7/8/8.1/10 OS.
What is the file extension of Tizen OS
tizen is a Linux-based mobile operating system, which is developed by Samsung electronic. it is work on open source platform and primarily used on platforms such as phones (Samsung Z-series smartphones), wearable devices and smart TVs as well. although tizen OS is follow “tpk” file extension.
list of File extensions related to mobile OS and mobile application
- sis– Symbian installation file
- obb– Google Android opaque binary blob file
- nbu– Nokia PC Suite 6.82+ backup file
- vsm– Blackberry data file
- cdb – Symbian OS contact database file
- min– Minute Maker file
- vcf– vCard file
- crypt8– WhatsApp Messenger message database file
- pkpass– Apple Passbook pass file
- npf– Samsung PC Studio phone book backup file
- sisx– Symbian OS program installation executable file
- pit– Samsung firmware file
- oap– Samsung bada signed installation package file
- n3a– Nokia 3D screensaver
- tpk– Tizen application package
- mobileconfig– Apple iPhone mobile configuration profile
- pbb– Mobile phonebook file
Most common File Extension of daily use application and software
- mp3 MPEG player 3
- GIF graphics interchange format
- PNG portable network graphics
- JPEG joint photo graphic expert group
- XIS excel file
- PDF portable document format
- doc world file
- mp4 MPEG PLAYER 4
- AAC Advanced Audio Coding